Eligibility Requirements For Public Housing
- Applicant must have an annual income at the time of admission that does not exceed the established income limit at the time of admission.
Applicant and all adult members of the family must pass a criminal background check.
- To live in housing for the elderly, you must be at least 60 years old for state public housing.
- To live in housing for the disabled, at least one member of your household must meet the disability criteria set by the Housing Authority. There are limits on the number of non-elderly disabled people with disabled people with disabilities who can live in public housing for the elderly/disabled.
- Applicant and all members of the family must provide documentation of Social Security numbers for all family members or certify that they do not have Social Security numbers.
- Applicant or any family member who currently owes rent or other amounts to the Housing Authority or any other Housing Authority will not be offered assistance until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
- Your references, criminal background check and credit history must show that you will be a good tenant.
- State preference is given to Leicester veterans, residents, and applicants who work in Leicester for at least one year.
To be eligible for public housing, your household income must be at or below 80% of the area median income. There are no asset limits for public housing. You will not be denied public housing because of the value or money or property that you own, such as cash, savings accounts, stocks or bonds, cash value of life insurance policies, or real estate equity. Any income that you get from your assists will be counted in your rent calculation.
Follow instructions to select the income limits for the current year and town at HUD Database for Income Limits